November 11, 2009

Hat Trick

Today's outfit is the third in my hat trick of Closet Shopping outfits.  In fact, the two major pieces of the outfit came from closet shopping!

I have had this skirt for several years, and once I outgrew the ability to wear it around my hips, I stopped wearing it.  Now that I am more confident and open-minded about clothes, I tried the skirt on again and realized it fits right at my waist and the length is perfect.  My next problem with the skirt became, what to wear with it.  As you can see from the close-up picture, it is a mix of blues and turquoises of different shades with some tan thrown in for fun.  I was first going with just plain black or white to wear, but then I went back into my closet and discovered the faux bolero top thus incorporating some blue/brown power as mentioned by A. of Academichic here.  
My mom bought this top a few years ago and when she got tired of wearing it, she gave it to me.  I've worn it a couple of times, but have avoided incorporating it into my wardrobe because the faux bolero ends up showing a whole bunch of my bra and its a smidge too skin tight.  I was able to fix the bolero-bra issues by baby pinning the bolero closer in so my bra wouldn't show.  I also realized that either the shirt got stretched out by sitting in my closet or I've lost some weight since the last time I wore this top.  So, both issues were solved and I'm wearing the top.  
I wanted to add some visual interest up towards my face since 1. I got a new hair cut and love it and 2. its my face! I want people to look at me when they talk to me.  So I added a fabric orchid I got from Sew Lovely.  Its meant to be a hairpin as it has a bobby pin attachment, but because of the cut of the top I was able to tuck the bobby pin over the edge of the shirt and wear the orchid as a brooch.  The orchid also incorporates the flower-theme of the skirt in an area of my outfit that is pretty plain.  All in all, my closet shopping hat trick outfit makes me really happy.  Its colorful and flowery on a really yucky cold rainy day.  
The Details:
Flower Panel Skirt: American Eagle by way of my closet
Sepia faux Bolero Top: Zara by way of my mom + closet
Orchid Hair pin: Sew Lovely
Brown tights: Target Merona brand control top tights
Boots: Etienne Aigner
Earrings: Blue Nile 

***Don't forget, The Law School Fashionista & Clever Clip Giveaway ends on Friday!*** 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...