October 18, 2010

Weight Loss

    As I've mentioned numerous times on the blog, I need to lose weight.  I've been trying to figure out the best way to do this.  I've got a stationary bike and treadmill upstairs in my very own workout room.  I also have Wii fit and Wii fitness coach.  I've also got an adorable puppy I can go walking with or throw the ball with.  I've also got a Fiance that I know wants me to be around forever.  Put that all together and you've got a girl with a goal and tools, but no plan.  
     If I liked or enjoyed running, I could probably sign up for a marathon and train for it using one of several marathon get ready programs out there.  (If that's up your alley, then I'll pass along my sister's recommendation to try the Couch to 5K program.)  But I don't like to run.  Part of it has to do with my boobs and the lack of support that even a great sports bra offers them.  Part of it is that I just don't like it.
   I've got a whole bunch of ways to monitor progress.  The Wii Fit alone will tell me my weight, BMI, waist measurements, frequency of working out and will even let me input non-wii Fit activities.  The only requirement is that I turn it on and use it.  And while having a great way to monitor progress is awesome, I still don't have a plan.  
    So my plan, or at least the current iteration of my plan is this, use my iPhone to help me lose weight.  I've got a pedomoter app to measure my steps whenever I walk Bella or walk to and from court.  I also have the myfitnesspal app.  I found it about a month ago and only just Saturday decided to try it out.  I've tried to use other apps to keep track of food and activities, but when it came down to cooking my own meals, which is generally healthier than eating out, having to manually compute every piece of a recipe just pissed me off.  So in looking at myfitnesspal I found that inputting recipes is really easy.  It also breaks down everything really well.  At the moment I have my goal set for losing one pound a week.  Using my height, weight, age and sedentary level, it has calculated how many calories per day I'm allowed.  If I exercise, it figures out how many calories I've burned and tells me how many calories I have left to eat.  I think that this app should be really useful when used in combination with my pedometer and existing exercise equipment.  Of course, in order for me to actually lose weight I have to use all of the equipment and monitoring apps and the like, but who said this was going to be easy?  
    So I'm curious, who else out there is trying to lose weight?  What are your motivations?  What keeps you going and what have you found that works?  Conversely, what have you found that doesn't work?  
     I'll go first.  I want to lose weight because I want to get healthier.  I'm a hispanic woman with a family history of diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol.  I'm also young enough to know that I can at least alter the odds against me.  I want to look stunning in a wedding dress.  I also want to make it easier on myself to go shopping.  Lastly, I would love for my boobs to get smaller without resorting to surgery.  So far I've found that not having a plan sucks.  I need accountability and a way to see what I've done so far and what still needs to get done.  That is where you dear readers get to help me out.  I've added a widget to the sidebar to remind me that I'm not the only one who can see my progress or lack thereof.  I'm hoping that some peer pressure will keep me on track and help me accomplish my goals. Oh! And I almost forgot, if you are on myfitnesspal sign up for it, add me as your friend so we can work toward our goals together.  



Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools


This is not a review on any product whatsoever. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...